This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Shank Cut Osso Buco
This is one of my favorites dishes to prepare in the cooler months. It’s time for Sunday Supper today and we’re all about cooking healthy with Beef.
Shank Cut Osso Buco cooks long and slow for about 2 1/2 hours. The sauce it makes is amazing! Whenever I make a dish like this one it takes me right back to my grandmother’s kitchen. She would of loved this dish. Her kitchen was the center of activity in the house when she was cooking. It was when dinner was ready to serve that the house really came alive. She always tried to serve dinner at 2 on Sunday and everyone knew it. One by one you’d find a dozen people or more around that dining table. If they didn’t come for dinner they were there by dessert.
I always try to make osso buco the day before if I can because this is one of those dishes that is so amazing the next day. I used a cut of meat we don’t use often enough in my opinion, the shank cross cut. Shank is cut from the front legs of the cow. It needs to to be cooked long and slow for the meat to get tender. It has a rich beefy flavor and is perfect for soups and stews. It is also lean and a 3 oz. portion of the beef (only) is about 171 calories. It has a round center bone filled with delicious mallow. This mallow just melts into the sauce making it so rich and velvety.
To make this dish you start by browning the beef. To get a good crust on any meat it helps if the surface is as dry as you can get it. I use paper towels. I set the beef on the paper towels and then pat it off also. You want to take your time with this step and really get a good crust on the beef. Then you are going to add some carrots, onions, celery, herbs, wine and tomato paste. Then it’s time to pop it in the oven and wait for the magic to happen. You can also make this dish in a slow cooker if desired.
I served this with a wild rice blend full of vegetables. It is a great way to get some additional vegetables into dinner! You should always try to make half of what’s on your plate fruits and vegetables. Go on over to ChooseMyPlate.gov to learn how easy it is to build a healthy plate. For information more specific to beef and to learn the nutritional values of beef, go here. For great healthy recipes using beef go to the Sunday Supper Pinterest Board, Healthy Meals with Beef.
- 2 pieces beef cross cut shank
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups chopped celery
- 1½ cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves minced
- sprig rosemary
- a couple of thyme sprigs
- When you remove the beef shanks from the package put them on paper towels. Pat with paper towels to dry the surface of the meat. Season the pieces well with salt and pepper.
- Add the oil to a dutch oven. When hot add the beef shanks. Brown well on both sides.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the the pan.
- Cover the pan and put in a 300 degree oven. Bake for 2½ hours or until meat is tender and falling apart.
I love going to the Beef It’s What’s For Dinner website. You can find so much great information there, nutrition info and recipes too!
Healthy Plates with Beef
- Beef and Green Beans over Orange Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Short Ribs with Polenta and Sautéed Greens by Whole Food | Real Families
- Beer Braised Beef Brisket by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Stifado by Recipe for Perfection
- Classic Pot Roast with Lemon and Rosemary by MealDiva
- Easy Stovetop Marsala Roast Beef by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Cherry Sauce by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Garlic & Herb Prime Rib with Roasted Potatoes & Beets by Momma’s Meals
- Rosemary Garlic Brisket by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sauerbraten by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Shank Cut Osso Buco by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Beef Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Italian Beef Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Steak Fajitas by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spoon Roast with Mushrooms and Farro by Cooking Chat
- Szegediner Gulasch (German Sauerkraut Beef Goulash) by Magnolia Days
- Thai Red Curry with Beef and Butternut Squash by kimchi MOM
- Vietnamese Style Beef Stew by I’m Not the Nanny
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.