Cranberry Orange Muffins with a touch of cinnamon, fresh cranberries and walnuts with a streusel topping.
Cranberry Orange Muffins
I made these for breakfast yesterday and loved the combination of the cranberries, orange and walnuts. They are as good this morning as they were yesterday so they keep well. I always think of muffins as need to be eaten the day they are made, but using shortening in these instead of butter definitely increased the shelf life of these muffins.
One of the key things when you make muffins is to not overmix them. When you add the flour quickly mix in the flour. Over mixing the muffins can cause them to be dry and have big holes in them instead of a uniform texture.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1 cup walnuts
- Streusel Topping
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- Mix together streusel ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put cupcake liners in a pan.
- Mix together shortening and sugars in a mixing bowl. Add grated orange peel.
- Mix together the eggs and orange juice. Add to the sugar mixture, mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix until just combined. Stir in chopped cranberries and walnuts.
- Scoop the batter into the pans about 2/3 full. Top with the streusel mixture.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes or until when you touch the center of the muffin it springs back.