Soft sugar cookies made with lemonhead sour candy, fresh lemon flavor topped with frosting and sugar sprinkles.
I made these delicious, tart cookies last week and have been trying all week to get a picture of them, cloudy days sure haven’t helped. These cookies have the perfect tartness to them. The crushed lemonhead candies are so good in these. When you crush the lemonheads in the food processor you will have a few bigger pieces, don’t worry about it they give a burst of lemon flavor. These cookies are soft in the center with a crunchy edge and they will stay fresh for days.
I think these would work on a cookie tray for Christmas also, just make them smaller and the citrus lover in your life will thank you.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 6 oz. box of lemonhead candy - crushed
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter - softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash salt
- 3 - 4 tablespoons milk
- Crush lemon head candies in a food processor.
- Cream shortening, butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add lemon extract and lemon zest. Mix until combined. Add lemonhead candy and beat until incorporated.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Roll into balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the frosting. Add milk as needed to make the frosting the right consistency to frost the cookies. Mix until it is smooth. Frost the cookies and sprinkle with sugar sprinkles if desired.