Delicious bread made with all of the flavors of holiday stuffing. Perfect for making your stuffing from or grilled sandwiches the next day.
Herbed Turkey Stuffing Bread
This is a recipe I have been making for years. It makes the best dressing. All of the flavors of dressing are combined in this recipe. It makes 2 medium sized loaves. One of them will serve about 8 people once you add the rest of your dressing ingredients. I always add a cup of cornbread pieces to mine, I love the texture it gives the dressing. It is best if you make it the day before you want to use it.
It also makes the best grilled cheese and turkey sandwich the day after Thanksgiving too! If I was going to make sandwiches with this I would make 1 large load instead of 2 medium ones. I would make this bread just for that reason alone!
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoons milk (70° F. to 80° F.)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 3 cups flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Mix together milk, egg and brown sugar in a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let sit 5 minutes.
- Add the spices, salt and butter, mix to combine them all in the milk mixture. Add 2 cups of the flour and cornmeal. Add remaining flour in and continue to mix. Switch to the dough hook. Let the dough hook knead the bread for about 4 minutes. Remove dough to a greased bowl and cover. Let raise until doubled.
- Divide dough into 2 loaves. Put in greased bread pans. Cover and let raise again until doubled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and cool.
- Bread machine method:
- In bread machine pain, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 T. of water or flour if needed).