Old fashioned Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies, perfect for school lunches.
Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
When we were growing up our neighbor Mrs. Watson used to always have a freshly baked cookie for us everyday. We got one per day, every day. No one missed going to get a cookie. It was more than that though, I sure didn’t realize it then. If you notice I still call her Mrs. Watson. I visited her as often as I could after we moved away and she lived in that house until she died. I think I was in my 40’s the last time I saw her. She made the best cookies, oatmeal with raisins, sometimes chocolate chip and big soft sugar cookies. She had a play house in the back yard and how we loved to play in there. She also washed her clothes out in the back yard on a sunny day with an old wringer washer. It was fun to help her with that and hanging clothes on the line. She had a wonderful sense of humor and would always make me laugh. As I write this I realize how lucky I was to grow up when and where I did. Hopefully you try and create the same kind of memories for a child in your neighborhood. It’s a good thing!
So about these cookies, they are soft in the center and crispy on the edges especially on the day they are baked. They would be wonderful with a scoop of ice cream sandwiched between 2 of them.
- 1 cup butter - softened
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- Mix together until light the brown sugar and butter, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add the old fashioned oats to the food processor. Pulse until most of the oats are broke up.
- Add to the butter mixture with the remaining dry ingredients. Mix well until well combined. Let the mixture set for 15 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a medium scoop and put dough on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Have you seen my recipe for Oatmeal Cream Pies? They are amazing, even without the cream…..
Or maybe some Oatmeal Spice Cookies?