The perfect appetizer, chicken breast pieces with homemade boursin wrapped in a flaky filo wrapping.
It’s #SundaySupper time again and our challenge this week is to share recipes that will make any red carpet viewing party a tasty one! I decided right away to make my chicken boursin.
I’ve been making this for longer than I care to remember, back from my hotel kitchen days. It was on the menu there using full size chicken breasts as an entree. I made it for my mom once and she fell in love with it and after that I made it even more often. One year at Christmas I decided to make it into an appetizer and this is the result.
I make my own boursin cheese for it using cream cheese, butter, garlic, parsley and toasted pecans. If you have any left it is great added to mashed potatoes.
When working with filo dough keep it covered with a damp towel, not real wet. If you are used to working with filo you might not have to, but it does try out quickly. I like to buy my filo dough at a Greek market because usually even when frozen it hasn’t sat in the freezer case as long. I thaw my filo in the refrigerator and refreeze whatever I don’t use immediately. When filo dough isn’t fresh it is a pain to work with and gives filo a bad name. It’s not fussy when not dried out.
I cut the filo into 2 long pieces. Then you are going to one at a time brush the filo with butter, add chicken, the boursin and roll it up. Brush it with additional butter lightly. Put the appetizers in the refrigerator uncovered until ready to bake. If you cover the filo dough it will get soggy! Brush a coating of butter on top of each roll.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup toasted pecans - chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 4 oz. butter for the boursin
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz. melted butter - for filo dough
- Brown the pecans at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Check before that they burn easily. Cool.
- Cut the chicken breast into 2 bite sizes. I got about 19 pieces out of each chicken breast. (It will depend on the size of your chicken breast)
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Brown the chicken pieces quickly, but do not cook all the way through. It will finish cooking in the oven. Put the browned chicken pieces on a plate and refrigerate until ready to roll up.
- Chop the parsley. Put it in a strong paper towel and run cold water over it. Squeeze the paper towel, if the water is still green rinse it again. Open and fluff the parsley.
- Add the cream cheese and butter to a food processor. Mix together until combined. Add the garlic. When mixed in add the pecans and parsley. Pulse several times to combine. Don't chop up the pecans and parsley too much. Put in a bowl.
- Get out the filo dough. Cut in half the long way. Cover with a very damp paper towel and a clean kitchen towel.
- Take 1 piece of filo dough and lightly brush with the melted butter. Fold up the end towards you as shown in the picture above about 2 inches. Place a piece of the chicken on top and then less than a teaspoon of the boursin mixture. If you add too much it will leak out during baking. Next you take the filo and turn the chicken with the boursin over so that it is now covered with the filo. Fold in both sides the best you can. Brush those edges with a little butter. Then roll the filo up to make a cylinder like shown above. You want the boursin to be on top so if there is a little bit leftover at the end, tuck it underneath. Place the rolls on a greased cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate uncovered until ready to bake.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nominees for Best Supporting Appetizers:
- Beef Sliders with Sautéed Mushrooms, Onions, Bleu Cheese and Bacon by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black and White Olive Cheese Puffs by Peaceful Cooking
- Cheddar Olives by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chicken Boursin by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Citrus Avocado Shrimp Cocktail by Seduction in the Kitchen
- French Onion Sliders by Momma’s Meals
- Herbed Butter and Cheese Popcorn by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Italian Guacamole with Pesto by Food Done Light
- Lobster Bruschetta by The Texan New Yorker
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Cheese Balls by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Moroccan Beef Kefta Briouat by Manu’s Menu
- Mushroom Pate by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Oysters Rockfeller by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pea Pesto Crostini by Ruffles & Truffes
- Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp by Casa de Crews
- Raspberry Brie Bites by Love and Confections
- Roasted Red Pepper Pinwheels by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoked Trout Stuffed Baby New Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Bites by Shockingly Delicious
- Sweet Chili Chicken Skewers by Nosh My Way
Nominees for Best Course in a Leading Role:
- Broccoli Calzones by eating in instead
- Bow Ties and Tails Galore by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Oscar by Palatable Pastime
- Indulgent Lobster-Champagne Risotto by The Weekend Gourmet
- Oscar Worthy Cantonese Lobster with Coconut-Ginger Rice by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Nominees for Best Supporting Sips:
- Apple Ginger Martini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Blood Orange Rosemary Spritzer by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cherry Almond Sparklers by Magnolia Days
- Iced Espresso Martini by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mixed Berry Martini by The Messy Baker
- Oscartini by Family Foodie
- Red Carpet Sparkler by Rhubarb and Honey
- Thank You Peary Much by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Nominees for Best Delectable Desserts:
- 7-Layer Bark by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Caramel-Almond Latte Ricotta Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Champagne Truffles by Brunch with Joy
- Chocolate Covered Cherries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Decadent Flourless Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Edible Oscars Envelopes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Crumble Peanut Butter Mousse Parfait Cups by Wallflour Girl
- Imitation Game Guinness Brownies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Strawberry Galette by Basic N Delicious
- Mini Strawberry & Chocolate Cheesecakes by Happy Baking Days
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Popcorn Puppy Chow by Pies and Plots
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Tuxedo Cake by The Redhead Baker
Nominees for Best Dressed Table:
- DIY Glitter Vases by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.