Breaded Pork Tenderloin with Peppered Southern Gravy
I cooked breaded pork tenderloin tonight for dinner doing it the way my grandmother taught me to make pork chops. I love pork tenderloin cooked this way and with the peppered southern gravy, well it makes a girl happy!
One of the things you need to remember when cooking pork tenderloin is you need to remove with a sharp knife the silver skin on the outside of the tenderloin. This is tough and inedible. Just slip your knife under it and go right under the surface of the silver skin.
To make these you use a 3 step breading method, first in flour, then in egg and finally some cracker crumbs. Then into the refrigerator it goes for 20 minutes (this she did not teach me). This helps to set the coating on the pork tenderloin so that when you cook them the breaded part stays on the pork tenderloin.
I served this with cream cheese mashed potatoes and honey buttered carrots. If you have never made honey buttered carrots before I use equal amounts of honey and butter after the carrots are cooked. I cook the carrots in a little water with salt until tender. Drain them and add butter and honey. So yummy!
- 1 pork tenderloin about 1½ lbs.
- 1 sleeve of crackers
- ½ cup flour (about)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat or oil from pan
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper - freshly ground if you have it
- 2 cups milk
- Skin the silver skin from the pork tenderloin. Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces. Using a meat pounder, pound out the pork to about ⅓ inch thick.
- Mix the eggs and water together in a pie pan. Crush the crackers and place on waxed paper. Do the same with some flour.
- Salt and pepper the pork pieces. Dredge thru the flour, then the egg mixture and finally the cracker crumbs. Place on a piece of wax paper and put into the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Put 3 - 4 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. When the oil is hot add the pieces of pork. Cook over medium heat about 6 - 8 minutes until browned on both sides and cooked through. Remove to a piece of paper towel and drain.
- When all of the pieces are cooked, if using the bacon fat drain the remaining oil from the pan. (Don't get rid of the brown pieces left in the pan.) If not add the flour and stir until it is thoroughly mixed into the oil. Cook for several minutes, if it browns a little that's okay. Add the salt and pepper. Stir in the milk. Stir until the gravy thickens. Taste to adjust seasoning. Serve on the side with the breaded pork tenderloin pieces.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?