Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
These are a delicious cookie, soft and chewy and the little bit of cream cheese frosting in the center, well all I can say is yum! If you don’t feel like using a pastry bag to do these a baggie with a end snipped off on the corner is a good substitute. You want a generous tablespoon of frosting to sandwich these together.
- 1¾ cups flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter - room temperature
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 cup confectioners sugar - for rolling cookie balls in before baking
- 4 oz. cream cheese - room temperature
- 4 oz. butter - room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash salt
- 1 lb. confectioner's sugar
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk - optional
- Cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and milk and mix until combined. Add the vanilla and food coloring. Mix well.
- Combine the cocoa, flour, salt and baking soda. Add to the butter mixture and beat with the paddle attachment until thoroughly combined.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Using a small cookie scoop, make balls of dough about the size of small walnut. Roll the balls in the confectioner's sugar. Place on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7 - 9 minutes. Be careful not to overbake this cookies. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter. Mix with a whip until well combined. Add the vanilla, salt and powdered sugar. If frosting is too thick add a little milk a tablespoon at a time. Beat the frosting for 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Put frosting into a pastry bag and pipe some onto the center of a cookies and add another cookie on top to sandwich together.
Maybe you’d like to try another of our cookie recipes?