Easy Orange Chicken is made with chicken breasts, lightly fried and then topped with a orange and honey sauce. Ready in less than 30 minutes.
Easy Orange Chicken
I’ve been wanting to make Orange Chicken for awhile now, it is one of my favorite dishes at my favorite Tampa restaurant and this comes pretty close to it. This takes just about 30 minutes from start to finish so it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner.
You start by putting the rice on to cook, I used some jasmine rice and it takes about 20 minutes plus a little resting time.
Next cut up your chicken breast into bite size pieces. Add a little cornstarch to the chicken to coat it. Set it aside while you assemble the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Now you are ready to start your dish.
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (for chicken)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- orange chicken sauce (ingredients below)
- jasmine rice
- 3 thinly-sliced green onions - tops included
- sesame seeds - optional
- !Orange Chicken Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- zest of one orange
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Put your rice on to cook.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite size pieces. Add the cornstarch to the bowl. Stir until chicken is coated. Set aside.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a small bowl. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of oil in a saute pan. When hot add the chicken and cook until it is browned and cooked thru. This should take about 7 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add the sauce ingredients to the chicken pan. Stir until the sauce comes together. It is seems a little to thick add a little water. Return the chicken the pan and stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Put on a dish to serve, top with the green onions and sesame seeds if using..
Maybe you’d like to try?