Chicken Dumpling Soup is tender pieces of chicken with carrots, celery and light, delicious dumplings. The perfect soup for a cold winter day.
Chicken Dumpling Soup Recipe
I started making this soup years ago after attending a food show. Love, love this soup. It certainly ranks in my favorites! This soup has tender bites of chicken, carrots, celery, onions swimming in chicken broth and delicious dumplings. You are going to love every delicious bite.
After I mix up the dumplings I put the dough on a small cutting board. I then wet a big knife and slice off small pieces of dough directly into the bubbly broth. This is so much easier than trying to spoon them all out. Small dumplings are best in this soup. Try it once this way and I think you will love this technique. It is way faster and you can get bite size dumplings.
- 1 3 to 3½ lb. chicken
- 1 onion cut in half
- 2 celery ribs cut in 3 inch pieces
- 2 carrots cut in 3 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 C. chopped onion
- 2 C. flour
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 T. sour cream
- 2 T. butter
- Put the chicken in a 5-6 qt. pan and cover with water. Add vegetables. Cook about 30 minutes over medium heat until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pot and cool chicken. When chicken can be handled take the meat from the bones and add bones back to pot and cook ½ hour more over medium heat.
- Strain stock and return to pan. Add 2 cups of water, chicken and prepared vegetables. Cook another 20-25 minutes until vegetables are cooked. Mix up dumplings.
- Add butter, eggs, sour cream and salt. Mix well. Add flour and baking soda. If needed add milk to make dough the consistency of mashed potatoes. Do not overmix or dumplings will be tough.
- When vegetables are cooked in broth, bring to a boil and add dumplings. Use a teaspoon, they should be quite small. Add all the dumpling mix and cook another 15 minutes.
- Thicken soup with a roux:
- T. flour
- T. water
- Cook 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Thanksgiving in a bowl, Turkey Stuffing Soup